This sauce whips up super quick and tastes like it came from a restaurant. It’s a really easy way to dress up a simple chicken or ground beef enchilada. One of the family favorites:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (secret ingredient)
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.